COVID-19 Note: We are back to full operation, but we ask that if you feel ill or have been in contact with a person with COVID that you do not enter the Post.
- Halloween Parade - Planning for the Town of Vienna's Halloween Parade starts on 4 August at 6PM (right before our GMM) at the Post. 2nd Vice Commander, Diana Miller, is leading this effort. We will be discussing out float (s) and Color Guard detail. The Theme for the 75th annual parade is “The Roaring Twenties.” We are thinking that we can celebrate the 100th year of the ALA and their support to the Legion. We need your ideas and help in making this happen.
- Sunday Buffets are back!! ALA will have buffet breakfast Sunday August 8 from 8 am to noon. $10 adults $4 children.
- Please note that Club 180 hours have changed a bit. Monday is now noon to 10PM and Saturday is now noon to 7PM. See the Club 180 page for details.
- The Sons are now selling food every Saturday, from 1 to 5PM, to raise money for the Children's Welfare Fund. See the Club 180 page for details.
- Pease help us spread the word …. Patriot Hall is now open for rentals!! The only caveat is that everyone attending events at Patriot Hall must have proof of vacination (a photo of the card on your phone will suffice) or they must weat a mask while in the hall. See Patriot Hall page for details.
- Martinsburg VAMC will have a Baby Shower for the female Vets in need in September. We are looking for donations of baby clothes and diapers or gift cards. This weekend is no tax so buy them now to bring to Legion for Joyce Miller to collected. Please contact Joyce Miller or Diana Miller through the Post (703) 938-9535.
Click HERE for the latest copy of our bi-weekly EBlast.
Welcome to our Post!! We are nestled in a lovely residential neighborhood and you'll know you've arrived when you see our red, white, and blue Nike Missile static display next to our flag pole! Post 180 was founded in, Vienna, Virginia in 1937. Our post is officially American Legion Dyer-Gunnell Post 180 and is Vienna's oldest Community Service organization. Today, we have members from every military service, including Space Force! Joining our Post enables you to continue serving your God, Country and Community. Our mission is to implement the goals, aspirations, dreams, peace and blessings for our country, friends and families.
Our General Membership Meeting is on the 1st Wednesday of each month at 7:00 PM in our post's Patriot Hall, see the Patriot Hall section on this website for more details. NOTE: Until further notice our GMMs are being held by Zoom due to COVID-19.
The Dyer-Gunnell Post home sits on the site of the Civil War Star Fort constructed by Union forces during the period 1863-1865. We are members of the Virginia Civil War Trails. Our Post's name, Dyer-Gunnell, pays tribute to two men from the Town of Vienna, VA, who gave their all for our great country in World War I. Corporal George Bryant Dyer and Private Clarence Leith Gunnell were both killed in action in France in 1918. See our History Page for more details on the Star Fort and our name sakes.
The Post 180 family includes the vibrant Sons of the American Legion Squadron 180 and the American Legion Auxilary Unit 180. Please see their sections on our website for more details.
You will know you've arrived when you see the flagpole next to the status display missile, painted red, white and blue! The Post Home consists of a two-level building on several acres. In addition, there is also a pavilion and picnic area. Before entering the public entrance to the upper level visitors, will crossed over our Honor Walk of engraved bricks dedicated to members of the armed forces. Upon entering you will find a small museum of donated uniforms from all services (except Space Force at this point, though we have Space Force members!) Next you will enter Patriot Hall, which is available for rental for gatherings of 30 to 220 people. Full details are on the Patrior Hall section of this site. The foyer also has a beautiful Honor Bench created by our own ALA member and locale artist, Joyce Myers. She titled it "Honor to all who Serve" and it was purchased by the Post at the a fund raiser for the Vienna Arts Society. The Post’s lower level entrance opens directly into Club 180, which is open to all visitors for food, and non-alcoholic beverages. Post members, with their member cards, and their guests can also enjoy beer and wine service. The schedule and menu vary, so please see our Club 180 section on this website.
Our Post is honored to have PNC Dan Dellinger, Past National Commander of the American Legion, and his wonderful wife Margaret, as members. PNC Dellinger was elected the National Commander on 29 August 2013. He grew up in Vienna, Virginia, graduating from James Madison High School and holds a Bachelor of Arts degree from Indiana University of Pennsylvania. He served in the U.S. Army during Vietnam as a company commander. He continued to serve in the reserves where he earned the rank of captain. Dan owned his own construction management and general contracting company, excelling for over twenty years working with owners and architects building commercial buildings in the Washington DC area. He has served in many capacities throughout his career to include State Commander of the Department of Virginia, National Membership Chairman, National Aerospace and National Legislative Council Committee Chairman, National Economics Commission Chairman, and Chairman of the National Security Commission. In 2011, President Obama appointed Dan to a Federal Taskforce on Small Business Administration hiring.
Since 1966, the Post has hosted an American Legion Baseball team, which plays and aggressive schedule, including participation in an All-Star-Game. Young men to the age of 18 are eligible and Legion affiliation is not required. For up to the minute details please see the team's Twitter account.
Post 180 has a strong commitment to community events and organizations. A significant portion of our income is donated to veteran-focused activities, such as support for residents at Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Centers and the Virginia Veterans Home. We participate in many local events, including the Hallowen Parade, Viva Vienna, and the 9/11 Remembrance Ceremony.
To the wonderful patriotic citizens of the Town of Vienna please contact us if you would like to join our Post as a Booster or Sponsor. 100% of the monies raised are given back to the community. Help us to continue sponsoring Scholarships for our children; give aid and assistance to our local needy Veterans, and their families. Help us to continue to support financially worthy community programs and projects.
Page Owner - Chris Hauth
Next Page >>